When you walk into Ngala Lodge (Ngala, meaning ‘lion‘ in Shangaan, ) situated at the Dinokeng Game Reverse, part of the Pride of Africa Group ; you think wilderness chic – from the architecture of lodge , the deco and the beauty of it’s surroundings. Owned by lovely couple Stefan and Annelize Vermaak. Ngala Lodge transports you to a safari destination that feels like you’ve completely left Gauteng. Intimate is the word for this place… It’s a love affair you’ll never forget.
We decided on a refreshing swim when we arrived – the pool had a breathtaking invite, afterwards we were treated to a game drive in the young Dinokeng -10 years old guided by the wilderness connoisseur Lovemore with 13 years of knowledge . There’s still remnants of a veld fire from 2018, we were honored with sightings of rhino’s black and white , impala ,elephants and a vast bird life.
Dinner was served under the beautiful clear sky with exceptional serve by Leonard ,Precious and Tima (Chef) .For dinner today is Lamb chops, potatoes wedges and crispy vegetables and dessert is a simple but decadent fudge ice cream – sadly I couldn’t have any because I’m lactose intolerant. Perfect ending to lovely day at Ngala Lodge, we retire to our beautiful room.
On our final day, for breakfast with owner: Stefan Vermaak – we are served a rustic breakfast of Muesli with fruit and yogurt, followed by a plate of bacon, sausage , mushrooms and tomato on the side of toast. After riveting conversation and filled bellies – it’s time to say our good byes to the unforgettable Ngala Lodge…a definite bucket list add on – a Tshwane stay-cation favorite , thank you for having us.
Please see interview with owner – Annelise Vermaak below:
- Tell us about Ngala Lodge and what is Ngala Lodge’s philosophy? Answer: Ngala is a small intimate family owned and managed lodge -Ngala is situated in Pride of Africa which falls within the Dinokeng Game Reserve.Pride of Africa’s size is approximately 2400 ha, with trans versing rights with Mongena Reserve – together the land is 7000 ha big. Dinokeng Game Reserve is a big five reserve. Ngala is your home away from home – it’s warm, friendly, spacious with modern yet stylish finishing’s. The wooden decks and walk ways leads onto 5 private simple yet stylish bedrooms. Philosophy: To make sure that when our guests leave Ngala – they do want to return.
- What makes your Ngala Lodge memorable and unforgettable? Answer: The friendly helpful staff; good food; calm and quietness, the ambiance and tranquility of the bush and the wonderful service from making the booking till check out date. Nothing is ever too much effort! Most of all the smiles of our staff!
- What will guests rave about to their friends and family after visiting Ngala Lodge? Answer: the staff,the game drive’s and sightings, Lovemore’s knowledge of the animals and nature. The architecture, interior, exterior and comfort as well as the accessibility and distance from two mayor cities.The wooden decks overlooking a cool and inviting pool on the one side and the beautiful bush on the other.The Nyala’s and Zebra’s pays regular visits!
- What is the atmosphere of Ngala Lodge? What types of guests does it attract, is it family friendly? Answer: Combination of family groups, business people, corporate’s, couples and friends who want to relax and want to have a good time. They all have a love for the African Bushveld. Kids are always welcome.
- Do you think Ngala Lodge is packaged for the local visitor especially since the Covid 19 ? Answer: We attract local and international visitors – we never just catered for overseas visitors – we’ve build our business around locals and overseas. We’ve got a very big South African client base. Guests return all the time.
- Do you have a favorite meal prepared by your Chef?
- Answer: Yes, Timo’s oven baked lamb shank served with mash potato’s, vegetables and salad. He also makes the most divine Crème Brule and Lemon Meringue.
- Where can someone to find out more information Lodge? Answer: On our website: www.ngalalodge.co.za or contact Annelize directly 0826890088